Sunday, October 28, 2007

Malaysian Curry Recipe

Though raised in India and am a proud Indian, I have a faint attachment to the land where I was born, 'Penang'. I especially developed a taste for Malaysian food, courtesy my mom. However after I turned into a veggie, my choices in Malaysian restaurants have become very limited.

When I used to eat non-veg have always loved Malaysian Chicken Curry. Decided to hunt the recipe online and customize it. I got a lovely recipe here

I am giving you the recipe here, unaltered and beneath the recipe, have jotted down the alterations that I did and worked for me

INGREDIENTS:
For the Malaysian Curry Powder
4 cardamom pods
1/2 tablespoon fennel seeds
3 star anise
2 tablespoon coriander powder
1 tablespoon cumin powder
1 1/2 tablespoons chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

For the curry
1kg chicken thighs (cut into 1/3 pieces)
2 onions (roughly chopped)
8 cloves garlic (peeled & chopped)
1 heap teaspoon ginger (grated)
12-15 fresh curry leaves
5 tablespoons Malaysian curry powder
1/4 cup peanut oil
1 400g can coconut milk
2 whole star anise
2 medium potatoes (cut into 1″ dices)
salt
1/2 small lemon (juice of)

DIRECTIONS:
For the curry powder:
In a dry small frying pan, toast the cardamom, fennel and star anise until aromatic. Remove and grind to a fine powder in a mortar or spice grinder. Add all the other ingredients to it and combine with 4 tablespoons water into a thick paste.

For the curry:
In a food processor or with a hand blender, blend the onion, garlic and ginger into a paste. Heat the oil a large pan over a medium temperature. Add the curry leaves and fry for 10-15 seconds. Add the onion paste and fry for 4-5 minutes until brown. Add the curry paste and gently fry for 2-3 minutes until aromatic and the oil starts to separate. Add the chicken, turn up the heat and stir for 2 minutes to coat well and lightly seal. Add the coconut milk, and 2 cups of water. Add the star anise and some salt and gently bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer covered for 30 minutes, giving it a stir once in a while. Add the potatoes and simmer uncovered for a further 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Remove from heat. Check for seasoning and squeeze in the lemon juice and you’re ready to eat.

SERVING:

Proper Malaysian Roti is like soggy Indian Roti but I dare say nobody would get hurt if you used shop bought Indian roti. It’s equally as nice with plain boiled rice.

Alterations I made:

Didn't have the patience to roast and grind for curry powder. My husband doesn't like cardamom, so omitted it. I replaced cinnamon, cloves and anise with Garam Masala. I ground the fennel seeds along with the onion, ginger and garlic. Since we are eggetarians, omitted chicken and replaced it with boiled eggs and cooked soy nuggets.

The recipe was just so yummy!

No comments: